Best Survival Dogs

April 12, 2011
Best Survival Dogs - 14

Most people from my generation have heard of the band Three Dog Night.  But did you know that the phrase originates from the description of a night so cold that you had to keep one dog on each side of you and one at your feet?

Curling up with your pet to stay warm certainly does work, just ask the authorities of Elgin, SC, who have recently credited one family dog with keeping a missing 2-year-old boy safe and warm as he spent a night lost outside with temps in the 40s.

Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews says the little boy was found curled up with his dog behind a nearby house, earlier this month.

The mother reported the little boy missing on a Friday night.  Kershaw County Deputies used bloodhounds and a helicopter to search for the lost toddler late into the night, but searchers found nothing.

Sheriff Matthews says the family's part-Labrador retriever sniffed the boy out, and kept watch over him through the night.

Dogs have help mankind survive for thousands of years, hunting side by side with us, and guarding us from predators – both human and animal.  But what are the best breeds for survival dogs? Hunting dogs, guard dogs, a little of both? What’s your favorite breed?

Photo: Kodi

from James balrd 3/14/2014 at 05:07pm

I don't think it really matters what breed if there loyal to you,and do what you want them to. I think they'll most would work fine.I had a Australian Shepherd border collie mix and he did any thing I wanted in tell he died.

from Argosinu 7/15/2013 at 04:51pm

Any working dog that is loyal to you. My labs would be great.

from gandamack 10/22/2012 at 11:22pm

German Shepherds are terrific and if you get from good bloodlines health isnt an issue.....I had a German Working bloodline male that was with me over 12 yrs and was active and healthy til his end....I have two now trained as family survival companions....they are the best

from fuglybugger 10/22/2012 at 08:24pm

best survival dogs are those that stay on the farm.
will sleep with you when the wife won't

and best of all

they taste like chicken.

quiz:
if the dog is scratching on the back door
and the wife is banging at the front door to get in...

who do you let in first?

the dog.

at least he shuts up once you let him in...

from romannowski53 8/18/2012 at 02:11pm

Best Survival Dog is the all american Pitbull. They are big,courageous,extremly loyal and protective of their family and lets not forget FEARLESS!! they will put there life at risk for you. These are the true Gladiators of the dog world!

from Hunter55 5/22/2012 at 04:19pm

Everyone has there own opinions about dogs, who is to say that one is any better than any other. In my opinion there is a reason labs are the most popular dogs in the U.S. Give me my glock, my BOB bag, and my lab and I am ready/prepared for any situation Murphy can throw my way.

from Dawson Lee 4/21/2012 at 09:34pm

Rottweilers also are a BIG dog average weight is 130lb some grow much more.

from Dawson Lee 4/21/2012 at 09:32pm

A Rottweiler is a great survival dog. They are also very very protective and can be agressive. I watched a show on TV and one had a 328lb bite force!

from CashATrain93 7/28/2011 at 08:45am

Goldens are the most loyal dogs I have had

from KBear 6/1/2011 at 02:23am

Weimaraner. Amazing sense of smell and hearing, and they won't leave your side. Males get big, and are very protective, but gentle.

from DSMbirddog 5/9/2011 at 10:36am

That's a tough question. I have had labradors and a brittany spaniel. Right now our only dog is Ginger, a rescue dog, and she is a sweetheart. I would say that it should be at least a medium sized dog.

from killer4488 4/21/2011 at 10:22pm

I love labs they are my favorite dogs! The are the best companions.

from T-Mac 4/21/2011 at 08:34am

German Shepherds are great, but they don't age well. Lots of health problems.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from T-Mac 4/21/2011 at 08:33am

A Saint Bernard is a great survival dog, because he can find you after an avalanche and then he can give you a shot of whiskey from that keg they all carry.

from Hunter55 5/22/2012 at 04:19pm

from T-Mac 4/21/2011 at 08:33am

from killer4488 4/21/2011 at 10:22pm

I love labs they are my favorite dogs! The are the best companions.

from KBear 6/1/2011 at 02:23am

from Dawson Lee 4/21/2012 at 09:32pm

from gandamack 10/22/2012 at 11:22pm

from DSMbirddog 5/9/2011 at 10:36am

from CashATrain93 7/28/2011 at 08:45am

Goldens are the most loyal dogs I have had

from Dawson Lee 4/21/2012 at 09:34pm

Rottweilers also are a BIG dog average weight is 130lb some grow much more.

from romannowski53 8/18/2012 at 02:11pm

from fuglybugger 10/22/2012 at 08:24pm

best survival dogs are those that stay on the farm.
will sleep with you when the wife won't

and best of all

they taste like chicken.

quiz:
if the dog is scratching on the back door
and the wife is banging at the front door to get in...

who do you let in first?

the dog.

at least he shuts up once you let him in...

from Argosinu 7/15/2013 at 04:51pm

Any working dog that is loyal to you. My labs would be great.

from James balrd 3/14/2014 at 05:07pm

from T-Mac 4/21/2011 at 08:34am

German Shepherds are great, but they don't age well. Lots of health problems.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report