Are You Prepared for Retaliation?

May 09, 2011
Are You Prepared for Retaliation? - 9

Photo by Hamid Mir

It took 10 years, and Lord only knows how much money, but Osama bin Laden is finally dead. While this victory brings most Americans a sense of justice, it also reminds us anew of the pain of 9/11, and it makes us wonder whether there will be some sort of backlash by those loyal to bin Laden. Al-Qaida has already warned of retaliation, saying that America's "happiness will turn to sadness."

Yeah, yeah. Death to all infidels. We’ve heard that one before.

But what does this mean to the average American’s safety?

There haven’t been any immediate specific alerts, and the public hasn’t been made aware of any credible threats. But to hit without warning is the M.O. of terrorists. This loss to Al-Qaida may be just the thing to invigorate them.

What should we watch for?

Obviously, look for people who are out of place as you go through your daily routine. There are too many forms of terrorism to begin to list them here. Our food, water, currency, transportation and health could be attacked in a number of ways. The biggest help we can provide our country is vigilance.

How do we prepare ourselves?

As with any other crisis, ensure your own survival and that of your family by having a plan in place to provide your basic needs if a situation should dictate self-reliance. Have food, money and needed medicines on hand. Have a plan for obtaining and disinfecting water, if you can’t get any from your tap. The list goes on and on. The point is to be as prepared as you can, while continuing to carry on a normal life.

Sure, you could hide in a cave somewhere, but that’s what the bad guys want—the destruction of the American way of life. Do you want to let them have that kind of power over you?

Let us know how you’re preparing for any potential retaliation in the comments.

from Ruckweiler 5/15/2011 at 10:53am

I believe that Jeff Cooper had it correct in his States of Awareness. The one we should be in now is:CONDITION YELLOW-This is a relaxed state of general alertness, with no specific focal point. No special techniques or procedures required. Sound simple to me.

from Ruckweiler 5/15/2011 at 10:49am

The solution is simply to be aware of your surroundings. No special techniques or arduous surveillance procedures required. Look about and notice when something seems curious/odd. Jeff Cooper had it correct with his States of Awareness. The one to which I refer above is:CONDITION YELLOW-This is a relaxed state of general alertness, with no specific focal point. Seems simple to me.

from korpi219 5/12/2011 at 12:11pm

haha i'd actually love to see them try to come and bring a war here. just our rednecks alone could take em, and all of us here in the U.P. have firearms.

from DirtyDave777 5/11/2011 at 12:41pm

This should be called.
Are you Ready for Political Monkey Business trying to curry votes & power.

Sure you can Trust your Government.
Just ask an Indian.

from The Captain 5/10/2011 at 08:20pm

Any time, any place. Can't wait for the next rotation to the sandbox.

from Obidia 5/10/2011 at 05:00pm

Bin Laden's Legacy - so it begins:

"Bartender, I'll have a 'Bin Laden'.."! "What pray tell, is that..??!"

"Two Shots, And later a long splash of water!"

from Obidia 5/10/2011 at 04:03pm

There's a new wild fish food exclusively for the sea life in the depths of the Indian Ocean. This new marine fertilizer is packed in 8 oz. tin cans, has a picture of Osama Bin Laden on it, and this caution: 'May Contain Lead!'

from Dcast 5/10/2011 at 11:34am

I am not prepared but could do so in short order. I don't want to sound extreme, but I am far more worried about our own government, illegal immigrant, gangbangers, ect... than I am of some jihadists fighting some false holy war. As far as I'm concerned they can continued blowing themselves up for ALIBAHBWAH or what ever they call their "GOD"! Matter of fact I will donate the explosives as long as they stay the he!! away from our troops and America! I am more affraid of the enemy within right now.

from Mark Orlicky 5/10/2011 at 11:17am

"Preparing for Potential Retaliation"... Hmmm. I'm not the soldier or the intelligence specialist that can nip it in the roots or violently confront the bad guys. What I can do is look for things "out of synch". Also, when I fish, I'll be looking at the dams for people where they shouldn't be.
I have no mass transit in my life, but those who do should be cautious there.

from Obidia 5/10/2011 at 04:03pm

from Obidia 5/10/2011 at 05:00pm

Bin Laden's Legacy - so it begins:

"Bartender, I'll have a 'Bin Laden'.."! "What pray tell, is that..??!"

"Two Shots, And later a long splash of water!"

from The Captain 5/10/2011 at 08:20pm

Any time, any place. Can't wait for the next rotation to the sandbox.

from Dcast 5/10/2011 at 11:34am

from DirtyDave777 5/11/2011 at 12:41pm

This should be called.
Are you Ready for Political Monkey Business trying to curry votes & power.

Sure you can Trust your Government.
Just ask an Indian.

from Mark Orlicky 5/10/2011 at 11:17am

I have no mass transit in my life, but those who do should be cautious there.

from korpi219 5/12/2011 at 12:11pm