May 11, 2011
Bear Attacks: Lone Males Kill More People Than Females With Cubs - 6
You somehow got between a surly old she-bear and her cubs. What do you do?
· Food availability seems to be a determining factor in black bear attacks. In years of poor berry crops, incidents of aggressive bears nearly double.
· Attractive nuisances can result in fatal bear attacks. The study revealed that improperly stored food or garbage was a likely attractant in over a third of the fatalities.
· Pepper spray was not deployed in any of the 63 fatalities. Whether or not it might have deterred the attack wasn’t investigated, but it’s a good guess that man of the victims had no warning of the attack.
· In nearly 90 percent of the fatal attacks, the victim was either alone or with only one other person.
· Nearly 60 percent of the fatalities occurred in Canada. This proves a point that I’ve suspected for years: Canadians have better taste than Yankees. Eh?