Every Day Carry Survival Gear: What's in Your Pocket?

July 14, 2011
Every Day Carry Survival Gear: What's in Your Pocket? - 6

What gear do you have in your pockets right now? Seriously, what do you have on your person that can be used for self-preservation?

The idea behind Every Day Carry gear, also referred to as EDC gear, is to have simple, useful items with you at all times in case of an emergency. It's not about fear mongering, just some good old common sense. Don’t get caught empty handed.

I always carry my cell phone, the Casio G’z One, which has a built in flashlight and electronic compass. I also have a back-up light on my keychain. I carry a CRKT folding blade knife, and a lighter as well.
It’s a pretty simple recipe, but it gives me a fire source, communications, navigation and two electronic light sources. The lighter serves as a back-up light source.  Plus, I can use the keys as saws, the key rings for trap parts and the bottle opener for a much-needed refreshment.

Many people consider a small handgun and an extra clip, as important Every Day Carry equipment.  For less lethal options, other people carry pepper spray or a stun gun.

Some savvy urban dwellers, as well as country folk, carry a “Drop Wallet” with them every day. This is a decoy wallet to throw down during attempted muggings and robberies to throw off the attacker. The wallet is real, with a fake credit card and one or two dollars hanging out. This kind of decoy could buy someone a few valuable seconds in a pinch.

I’d love to hear your great ideas, so comment below.

from simplyfred 7/25/2011 at 10:27pm

I have a small belt pouch that goes with me EVERYWHERE. Inside are 2 reflective emergency blankets. A Buck 110. A magnesium firestarter. A whistle. One of my wifes disposed blush mirrors. A small wet stone. 2 emergency rain ponchos. A p-38 can opener. A cheap wind up watch. 12 water purification tablets and 4 high protien energy bars. Also I like to keep at least $20 in there. Forget about technology in an emergency because that is the time when it is bound to fail you. Stick to the basics. Food, shelter, water, a weapon and a distress signal. Anything more is just clutter.

from Deepwoods 7/19/2011 at 11:22pm

I carry a small SS multi tool w/diode light, pliers, file, both phillips and flat head screw drivers, bottle opener & can opener, and two knife blades (one serrated) in a small nylon pouch. I also carry a larger SS knife w/ 2.5" blade. A child proof lighter. A cell phone. A watch. And always my Ruger LC9 w/ spare mag in a pocket holster because I'm handicapped and the "Flight" half of the "Fight or Flight response" doesn't work so well. I also carry a hickory cane every where and it works on angry dogs and two legged varmints when the situation doesn't call for the LC9. Believe it or not everything fits nicely in the two front pockets of my jeans w/o bulging out, comfortable too.

from WckedMidas 7/19/2011 at 10:28pm

Gerber multi tool. Knife cliped on my pocklet. Lighter. Cell phone.And either a mag light with dubble a batterys on my belt . Or my hat with the built in LED lights . I got high and low beams on my hat. Lowed hardware baby

from 25-06 guy 7/14/2011 at 09:34pm

Every time I walk out of the house I have a knife on me, just a small one with a pocket clip. And most of the time my model 23.

from bass bomber 7/14/2011 at 07:42pm

The decoy wallet is a great idea.

from land_cruiser_73 7/14/2011 at 02:48pm

For nearly twenty years now I have had on my keychain a cross shaped screwdriver tool made by Stanley. I can't count the number of keys and knife blades it has saved by always being there. I'm not sure how I would use it in an emergency situation, other than to dismantle some other item.

from land_cruiser_73 7/14/2011 at 02:48pm

from 25-06 guy 7/14/2011 at 09:34pm

from bass bomber 7/14/2011 at 07:42pm

The decoy wallet is a great idea.

from WckedMidas 7/19/2011 at 10:28pm