Survival Gear: SOG’s Force Knife

November 14, 2011
Survival Gear: SOG’s Force Knife - 10

SOG’s Force knife is the meanest knife in my collection, hands down.

The stout thickness and minimal grind profiles are the secrets behind the strength of the blade. The Force is one of the best-constructed and toughest fixed-blade knives in the SOG knife family. But is it functional in the field?

The Chopping Test

I couldn’t wait to get it out in the field to see how well it cut. The SOG Force is big enough and strong enough to handle most camp chores like chopping branches and saplings. A 2-inch-diameter piece of white oak was chopped in two, quickly. I then cut off some hard, dried, knotty pine branches; and the blade still maintained its original sharpness. After quite a lot of chopping, the Force still cut heavy rope like it was butter. It also split wood well, when using a baton.

The Carving Test

I don’t think there is anything the Force can’t carve: wood, venison, an aluminum can, and then a tomato. It carved friction fire equipment and trap parts with ease. The serrated section of the blade sawed and carved material away quickly, and cut ropes in a snap.

The Knife’s Features

The blade on the SOG Force is a thick AUS 8 steel, which is razor sharp right out of the box and virtually unbreakable. The handle is made of a glass-reinforced nylon, through which the tang of the blade extends out the back into a glass-breaking point. The glass-reinforced nylon is incredibly lightweight, making the Force easy to carry at just 10.5 ounces. The handle has a contoured shape and is covered in an aggressive checkering, which keeps the knife securely in hand.

What are my favorite aspects of this knife?

My favorite things about the SOG Force are its heavy construction and the way it keeps an edge. If you were heading out into the wild for a long time, and could only have one knife, this should be the one. As I said, this is the meanest knife I own.

Do you own the SOG Force? Tell us how you like it, or whether there’s anything you’d improve about it, in the comments.

from 23 11/22/2011 at 10:01am

I have had a SOG Revolver-half serrated blade turns into the handle to reveal a full length saw blade for several years feild dressed and processed over 10 deer and alsl used on clearing trails and processing hogs, GREAT knife. Own several other SOG products, broke a handle out of a tomahawk-SOG replaced no questions asked.

from Outsider 11/18/2011 at 09:04am

When in the Air Force I was issued a SOG multitool...I did everything under the sun with it and it still performed. I have a SOG Seal knife and it is incredible. You can do anything with it, and it keeps going...and the handle is very good in wet conditions...for some odd reason the hard plastics stays put in your hand.

from captjim 11/17/2011 at 06:02pm

I would have put more holes in the handle to lash it to a limb to make a spear. That would make it handy for fending off wild pigs or predators.

from T-Mac 11/17/2011 at 07:18am

JM asked about the grip when wet. It's very good. I dressed and butchered a deer this week with the Force, and even bloody, the grip was good. I did chip a bit of the edge of the blade though, when chopping through some leg bone. Steel this hard tends to stray toward the brittle side.

from Man Wall 11/16/2011 at 04:40pm

They skipped diamond and went straight to tomato for the carving test!

from papajocu 11/15/2011 at 06:56pm

My issue with high quality knives is that they are too expensive for me to loose. I bought a couple of cheap $2.50 bait knies from Wallyworld then sharpened them with a file that put a razor sharp micro serrated edge on the blades. Those knives will dress out a deer as fast as any high dollar knife I ever used AND if I loose one.... no biggie. I do have some kabars, bucks, benchmade knives and yes, a SOG too. They look good but they always seem to stay at home for fear of being lost.

from DSMbirddog 11/15/2011 at 10:26am

I have a SOG NW Hunter and one of their multi tools. Both are excellent as I am sure this knife is.

from bigjake 11/15/2011 at 07:39am

Im not a fan of serrated blades on my outdoor knives.

from Blue Ox 11/14/2011 at 08:58pm

Taiwanese piece of junk.
I'll stick with my Ka Bar.

from JM1993 11/14/2011 at 05:14pm

How is the grip on it when wet?

from JM1993 11/14/2011 at 05:14pm

How is the grip on it when wet?

from Blue Ox 11/14/2011 at 08:58pm

Taiwanese piece of junk.
I'll stick with my Ka Bar.

from bigjake 11/15/2011 at 07:39am

Im not a fan of serrated blades on my outdoor knives.

from DSMbirddog 11/15/2011 at 10:26am

from papajocu 11/15/2011 at 06:56pm

from Man Wall 11/16/2011 at 04:40pm

They skipped diamond and went straight to tomato for the carving test!

from T-Mac 11/17/2011 at 07:18am