New Survival Movie: The Grey

January 06, 2012
New Survival Movie: The Grey - 6

Survival-themed TV shows have certainly become popular programing these days, and apparently the silver screen was not about to be left out of the fray.

A new survival movie called The Grey is premiering Friday, January 27. You can check out the trailer here.

As the story goes:
“A group of oil-rig roughnecks are left stranded on the sub-arctic tundra after their plane experiences a complete mechanical failure and crashes into the remote Alaskan wilderness. The survivors, battling mortal injuries, biting cold and ravenous hunger, are relentlessly hunted and pursued by a vicious pack of rogue wolves.”

Sounds like a fun time, right down to Liam Neeson’s broken-bottle brass knuckles. Personally, I would make a broken-glass sword, like the Aztecs used to make from volcanic glass, but that’s just me.

I can’t even begin to predict whether the movie will do well, or not. I haven’t seen a sneak peek yet either, so I cannot speak on the quality of the movie. But the timing for a survival flick seems right. Survival shows are being cranked out at an unprecedented level. Gun sales have hit a record high. Survival classes have picked up around the country. And those alien experts on the History channel keep yammering on about the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse.

Maybe it’s time for the black sheep subject of survival to have a brief moment in the sun.

What’s your favorite survival movie? Let us know in the comments.

Also check out: Best Survival Movies

from Bob Hansen 1/14/2012 at 05:51pm

Hi...

Yes, Jeremiah Johnson was one of my favorites, also.

Another favorite was the original Flight of the Pheonix.

from JM 1/6/2012 at 03:33pm

I was thinking the same way as Charlie Elk. Whole time I was watching it I was thinking about all the people who are going to be mad about how they are portraying wolves in this movie.
-I actually got a gift card to the movies during Christmas so may go and see this movie. Only enough for one ticket so this might be perfect(I dont think my gf would be into this kind of movie lol).

from T-Mac 1/6/2012 at 11:55am

It's hard to beat the classics - Jeremiah Johnson; and the 1st Rambo movie

from 23 1/6/2012 at 10:51am

Favorite survival movie, "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins and Elle Macpherson

from charlie elk 1/6/2012 at 10:23am

LOL- the big bad wolves are after oil-rig roughnecks; Oh My! The politically correct, wolf worshiping, anti-energy development types are going to go apoplectic. For this reason alone I may watch.
Assuming of course Hollywood doesn't make the wolves Mother Earth's avengers against evil big oil. In which case I'll be too busy to watch.
later,
charlie

from charlie elk 1/6/2012 at 10:23am

later,
charlie

from 23 1/6/2012 at 10:51am

Favorite survival movie, "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins and Elle Macpherson

from T-Mac 1/6/2012 at 11:55am

It's hard to beat the classics - Jeremiah Johnson; and the 1st Rambo movie

from JM 1/6/2012 at 03:33pm

from Bob Hansen 1/14/2012 at 05:51pm

Hi...

Yes, Jeremiah Johnson was one of my favorites, also.

Another favorite was the original Flight of the Pheonix.