25 Practical Survival Uses For Duct Tape

June 05, 2012
25 Practical Survival Uses For Duct Tape - 12

If there ever was a miracle product better than spray-on-hair or the ShamWow, it is duct tape. Over the past 70 years of its existence, this staple product of fix-it-yourselfers has been used by virtually every walk of life, for jobs that I’m sure the duct tape developers never imagined. So how can we use it for survival?

Here are my top 25 survival uses for duct tape, in no order whatsoever.

1. Repairing a cracked water bottle or a pierced hydration bladder. A little strip of DT is the next best thing to a bandage for an ailing water vessel. Just dry the surface before you try to tape your patch in place, most forms of duct tape don’t stick to wet surfaces.

2. Survival arrow fletching.
Tear off a few 5-inch pieces, and a long edge of one piece to the arrow shaft, fold the tape lengthwise, and stick the other long edge of that piece to the arrow. Repeat this process one or two more times; trim the vanes to shape with your knife; and you will have a serviceable arrow fletching.

3. Butterfly bandage strips. Cut two small strips of DT, and add a smaller strip across their centers (sticky side to sticky side) to create a makeshift butterfly suture.

4. Make cordage. Twist one or several lengths of duct tape into a cord or rope.

5. Patch a hole in canoe. I wouldn’t trust my life to this one, but it’s been done more than once.

6. Fashion a belt. When you are starving in the wild, and your pants start falling down, run a piece of DT through your belt loops and stick it to itself in the front. Overlap it about 4 or 5 inches and you’ll still be able to peel the belt apart when nature calls.

7. First aid sling. Fold a length of DT down the middle, so that it is half the original width and no longer exposing a sticky side. Use the strap to make a sling for a busted arm.

8. Leave a note. Write on it with a Sharpie, or use strips to form letters.

9. Handcuff alternative. If someone is acting up during a survival emergency, you can duct tape their hands together around a tree to prevent them from becoming a danger to themselves or others.

10. Mend shoes and clothing. You can skip the sewing class, if you have enough duct tape.

11. Repair your glasses. The tape on your glasses my look a little nerdy, but at least you’ll still be able to see.

12. Attach shelter elements.
Just a few trash bags and some duct tape, and you have a survival shelter roof, or a sleeping bag cover, or a wind break, or…

13. Attach survival gear. Tape a spark rod to the side of your knife sheath, and you’ll always have a back-up fire source.

14. Make a hat. If you believe what you see on TV, the “Mythbusters” guys made a pretty nice looking hat out of duct tape on a recent episode.

15. Afix bandages. Place a sterile dressing over your wound, and strap it in place with DT. Hopefully you’re not too hairy where you got injured.

16. Fix your rain gear. Keep the dry stuff dry, and keep the water out, by mending your ripped rain gear with a few strips.

17. Make a drinking cup. Some creative folding and sticking can result in a cup you can drink from.

18. Make a spear. Strap your knife to a pole and you have a trusty spear to fend off beasts, or make one into your dinner.

19. Blister care. Cover the blistered area with a bit of cotton gauze, and tape over the cotton. Make sure that the duct tape fully covers the cotton and doesn’t touch the blister at all.

20. Mark a Trail. Use it to blaze a trail or signal for rescue, especially if your DT is brightly colored or reflective.

21. Make emergency repairs on your Bug Out Vehicle.
Leaking hoses and windows that won’t stay up don’t stand a chance against the mending powers of duct tape.

22. Keep the feathers in your sleeping bag. If you have a hole in your down sleeping bag, the feathers will pour out faster than excuses from a politician. Patch the hole with DT.

23. Keep your tent closed. A damaged zipper could leave your tent door flapping in the wind. Stick the door shut, and keep the bugs and critters out.

24. Splint a leg. A broken ankle or leg can be stabilized with ample splint material, padding and duct tape. Pad the crotch of a forked branch with some cloth and duct tape to fashion a quick crutch to go with your splint.

25. Splint a broken tent pole or fishing pole. By taping a stick to the broken area of your tent pole or fishing rod, you might just get one last adventure out of it.

Tell us your best duct tape trick or survival strategy in the comments.

from ibelievein3 11/13/2013 at 07:21pm

I cant sew for cwap (even if I am a girl). I have been using duct tape to hem my pants since 1975.

from glacierbear 10/22/2013 at 11:53pm

A bush pilot i know of had to tape his fabric covered airplane to repair some of the rips from a stick going through the fabric. I saw another picture were a bear had tore up the fabric on a plane. The pilot had some one drop him off 2 cases of dt. He proceeded to re wrap the fuselage and made it airworthy and flew it over a hundred miles back to Anchorage for permanat repairs.

from yorck Lindner 4/3/2013 at 08:56pm

a great temp patch for broken or cut screens

from smokeandmirrors 1/22/2013 at 10:13pm

used tie wire and duct tape to make a alternator belt a few years back[lol]

from TJ Enloe-Hollin... 10/19/2012 at 07:42pm

Heavy hail broke my r.v. window. I layered duct tape over heavy cardboard to make a replacement 'pane' and taped it in place. Intended to get it fixed but 2 yrs later it still holds,Ha!

from stormchaserblue 10/10/2012 at 11:57am

My students (about one every other year) will make prom or homecoming dresses out of duct tape, and they are nice I have even seen bags and tuxes out of duct tape.
Also I know a woman who while pregnant duct taped a hole in her roof and called the repair men. She had the baby a day latter and forgot about the whole thing. When the child was ten and the roof started leaking again she remembered and called a different repair man!

from angelofwar 9/2/2012 at 04:31pm

26) use a small strip (2"-3") to hold your magnesium shavings/tinder, in place while constructing a fire

Tired of taking a whole roll? Make some combat duct tape. Cut a 2-2.5" piece of cardborad just thinner than the duct tapes width, and wrap 10-15' of it into a compact, light-weight, "spindle" of tape

from peteyraymond 6/8/2012 at 10:16am

While gutting a trout my leather fishing knife sheath drifted downstream and out of sight. I used a thick cardboard paper towel roll and DT to fashion a makeshift sheath. It worked well and lasted quite a while until the time I fell into the water and got it wet. Time to make a new one.

from hunterbao 6/7/2012 at 03:57pm

small items like screws, needles, fish hooks, etc can be stored between 2 pieces of duct tape so they don't get lost.

from gmarkum 6/6/2012 at 08:25am

I ripped my DCU pants stepping up into a helo in Iraq. It was about a 9" tear on the inseam of my left leg. One of the best piks I have from that tour is me all kitted up with that duct tape on my pants. It held up for three days until I got back to the hooch. I put several strips of tape on both the inside and outside of the pants and it held fine. A little sweaty in the heat but it kept my junk covered.

from Blue Ox 6/5/2012 at 11:45am

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

from Bob Hansen 6/5/2012 at 11:21am

Hi...

I've used duct tape many times to patch a hole in my hip boots and to temporarly patch clothing. Worked real good there.

But I've gotta say...arrow fletching was a new one to me...!!

Good work, Tim.

from gmarkum 6/6/2012 at 08:25am

from Bob Hansen 6/5/2012 at 11:21am

Hi...

But I've gotta say...arrow fletching was a new one to me...!!

Good work, Tim.

from hunterbao 6/7/2012 at 03:57pm

from peteyraymond 6/8/2012 at 10:16am

from angelofwar 9/2/2012 at 04:31pm

from yorck Lindner 4/3/2013 at 08:56pm

a great temp patch for broken or cut screens

from Blue Ox 6/5/2012 at 11:45am

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

from stormchaserblue 10/10/2012 at 11:57am