Survival Gear: SOG PowerDuo Multi-Tool

October 24, 2012
Survival Gear: SOG PowerDuo Multi-Tool - 4

I had been looking for a new multi-tool for a while. Specifically, I wanted a tool with a high-quality knife blade and sharp needle nose pliers. This tool would be spending a lot of time in my main medical bag, which I keep in my car and carry along on survival training classes. After searching for some time, I believe I finally found what I was looking for in the SOG PowerDuo.

This multi-tool packs a full-size locking blade made of 9Cr18MoV steel. The blade length is 2.9 inches and the entire tool weighs 6.3 ounces. The knife blade is just what I expected from SOG: It’s razor-sharp right out of the box, and great at carving and cutting. In addition to the knife component, the PowerDuo also features:

- Compound leverage needle nose pliers with one-handed flip opening
- A wire cutter in the jaws of the pliers
- Three locking screwdrivers, including one Philips head and two flat-head drivers
- A locking can opener
- A locking bottle opener

The tool’s handle is glass-reinforced nylon, like on many other SOG knives and tools. The tool is available with a black oxide or polished steel finish. It comes with a nylon sheath and retails for $80.

Between the hunting and fishing applications of this tool, it could join you on any trip you take, and it’s versatile enough to be in your medical bag, range bag or tucked in your pocket for every-day carry.

Is the PowerDuo your favorite multi-tool? If not, what are you packing? Let us hear about it in the comments.

from officerdom1987 10/25/2012 at 11:33pm

Anything SOG makes always seems to be top quality. Unfortunately you do have to somewhat pay top dollar for it too. CRKT makes the ZILLA TOOL which is their exact version of this multi-tool and it's about a third of the price of SOGS. I have used my ZILLA TOOL for years and never had any issues.

from huntfishtrap 10/25/2012 at 10:11am

SOG has a good rep, so I'm sure it's a good tool, but I will always be a Leatherman guy. The Surge the only multi-tool I've ever carried, and it's never let me down.

from DSMbirddog 10/24/2012 at 08:49pm

I have the original SOG multi tool and it is still a great bargain. It goes with me everywhere.

from Bob Hansen 10/24/2012 at 07:43pm

Hi, Tim...

Sounds like a great tool, especially the knife blade. Wish I had one.

Meanwhile, I'll be using my Winchester multi-tool. A slight bit heavier, but a good tool, nevertheless.

from Bob Hansen 10/24/2012 at 07:43pm

Hi, Tim...

Sounds like a great tool, especially the knife blade. Wish I had one.

from DSMbirddog 10/24/2012 at 08:49pm