User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

How to Build and Stock a Bunker

January 24, 2013
How to Build and Stock a Bunker - 4

You don't need to be a crazed conspiracy theorist to have a bunker these days. If you have the real estate, the means, and the time, building a bunker is a worthwhile endeavor and could end up saving your bacon in a number of survival situations. Here's a fun clip that illustrates the basics of building and stocking your bunker once you decide to break out the shovel.

Find more great survival tips in our book: The Ultimate Survival Manual

from peteyraymond 1/27/2013 at 04:22pm

Forget fun, storage space, or underground treehouses, there ARE potential crises that could warrant building a bunker. Even if you don't believe that an earthquake, super volcano, sunspot radiation, electromagnetic pulse, oil shortage, economic collapse, disruption of the electrical grid, or a rogue asteroid will occur, there are events that could warrant building a bunker. While I'm not a prepper, I do believe it's possible that there could be some sort of world-wide epidemic that could cause a panic. The common flu bug hit the U.S. extremely hard already this year. Viruses are mutating incredibly fast. Every day we read about bird flu, norovirus, and hantavirus. Anything's possible. Imagine if some epidemic hit a large city like New York. The survivors would be flooding out into the countryside to escape being infected. I'm not panicking, but if I were a rich man I'd certainly think about building a bunker of some sort. Just to be on the safe side.

from JM 1/25/2013 at 06:06pm

@huntfishtrap,
I agree, but there are a few more reasons than just bad weather. You could do it for fun or for storage space...I'm sure a kid would like it; it sounds like an underground tree house to me.

from huntfishtrap 1/25/2013 at 02:33pm

If you build a bunker for any reason other than protection from bad weather, you ARE a crazed conspiracy theorist.

from Kevin R. Wheeler 1/24/2013 at 06:52pm

In Oklahoma, they call them "tornado shelters".

from peteyraymond 1/27/2013 at 04:22pm

from Kevin R. Wheeler 1/24/2013 at 06:52pm

In Oklahoma, they call them "tornado shelters".

from huntfishtrap 1/25/2013 at 02:33pm