Survival Gear: More $2 Items that Could Save Your Life

February 28, 2013
Survival Gear: More $2 Items that Could Save Your Life - 6

Last May, we did a post on emergency preps for two dollars or less. Since many would say that we are in worse economic territory now than we were a year ago, it seemed only fitting to consider “Cheap Preps, Part 2.”

When checking the cost of survival equipment, pricey gear seems to be the new normal. But the frugal shopper can still find real bargains that could prove to be lifesavers at the right time and place.

Here are some more preparedness items hovering around the $2 mark:

Bread In A Can
Yes, it’s a weird product. No, you may not find it in every store. But a rodent-proof, bug-proof, waterproof metal can of bread with a three-year shelf life might just be worth looking for. Plus, it packs 1,040 calories per loaf (full can). This can of rich, heavy brown bread costs about $2.50, so scrounge the couch cushions for that extra loose change. This is often a surprise favorite when I have a survival food sampler during my classes. And it’s not that bad…I just hope none of us ever have to live off the stuff.

A Case Of Stick Matches
While windproof lighters may be the ultimate fire starter, I will always have a use for stick matches. A case of 10 or a dozen boxes of stick match will usually run you less than $2, and provide you with 300 or more matches. Sure, we all want to light a “one-match” fire, but I’m not too proud to say that I have lit fires in wet weather by using a little pile of match sticks like kindling. And once it’s empty, the little cardboard matchbox can be used as tinder.

Hand Sanitizer
A pint of sanitizer could be the difference between a really nasty skin infection and getting out of a jam relatively unscathed. It can also mean the difference between you catching some pathogen from processing game or treating somebody’s wounds. Gross, but true. Consider the sportier bottles instead of the pump option, which has a tendency to leak everywhere, especially in fluctuating temperatures. Two dollars worth of sanitizer can really cut the crud you are exposed to, and can also be used as a flame accelerant thanks to its high alcohol content.

Sports Tape
This first-aid box staple is great at keeping your dressings and bandages in place. It’s also strong and sticky enough to be used to hold things together, or to make improvised butterfly sutures.

Got some other $2 survival gear ideas? Share your bargains in the comments.

from captjim 3/3/2013 at 11:38pm

I would choose bic lighters over matches. If I had to use matches I would vacuum pack them in small quantities to keep moisture out. The older they get the harder they are to light and the strikers on the box get soft with moisture.

from Brandi 3/2/2013 at 03:05am

Canned bread? I've seen canned bacon and canned tomatoes now we just need canned lettuce for a canned BLT :-)

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Warrior440 3/1/2013 at 02:21pm

P38 Can Opener! This handy little Army surplus item usually costs less than a dollar, and can open soup cans, work as an impromptu screwdriver for either standard or Phillips screws, opens beer bottles and paint cans, and can even clean your fingernails. I have had one on my keyring for 30 years, and not a week goes by that I do not end up using it for something other than what it was designed for!

from Longbow14 3/1/2013 at 09:25am

What about dental floss? the very small package has enough yardage to use as stitching, a light tiedown, and i'd wager (but not tried) the unscented stuff would work great for building snares.

from Bob Hansen 2/28/2013 at 02:26pm

Hi...

I keep some of that canned bread at home (it's too bulky to carry for my emergency use), and it's delicious. Just finished a can of B&M bread the other day.

from DSMbirddog 2/28/2013 at 02:08pm

Hand sanitizer as a fire accelerant. Never thought of that one. Thanks, Tim. You always have something useful.

from DSMbirddog 2/28/2013 at 02:08pm