Survival By Coffee: 5 Emergency Uses For Java

October 31, 2013
Survival By Coffee: 5 Emergency Uses For Java - 3

Don’t feel like you could survive without your morning coffee? You’re not alone. According to Bloomberg.com, an astonishing 83% of American adults drink coffee, which is up from 78% just one year earlier. With all this coffee floating around, it makes one wonder about other applications for this everyday resource?

Here are my top 5 survival uses for the flavorful beans we know as coffee. Pour yourself a cup, and read on.

1) Headache prevention and treatment
If you’re a caffeine addict like me, your blinding headaches will probably start about a day or two into coffee withdrawal. Keep some coffee in your Bug Out Bag or larger survival kits, and drink a little less each day. This way you’ll ease down off the roasted Arabica serpent without your skull exploding.

2) Post-Disaster Trade Good

Remember the headaches we just talked about? Imagine the street value of some coffee and a way to prepare it after a natural disaster has flattened the local Starbucks. Way to plan ahead for the misfortune of others! Just make sure you have enough to pay a body guard in coffee, so robbers and looters don’t jump you for your joe.

3. Camouflage Dye
Coffee stains on your favorite shirt? No, they’re not – that’s coffee camo. In desperate times, some well-placed blotches of coffee, among other stains, could form the basis for an improvised camouflage system. We’re not slobs, we’re just blending in.

4. Bait
Not many creatures other than humans enjoy coffee, but in desperate times – hungry animals have been known to eat almost anything. Try a little coffee on rat traps or even primitive traps, to see if the local animals will mess with it. It’s worth a shot.

5. Flavor Camouflage
One of the tastiest, yet weirdest, dry rubs for gamey wild meats – is my friend’s coffee spice rub. This is equal parts of seasoning salt and coffee grounds, blended with a little black and red pepper for some heat. I’m not sure anybody really likes it, but we keep on eating it, perhaps just trying to figure it out. So if you’re stuck living off ‘possum or rat, try a little coffee rub and see if it’s any better.

Tell us how coffee could help you survive, by leaving us a comment.

from TruCelt 11/17/2013 at 09:19am

I think the most important use would be as a vaso-constrictor. Caffeine makes blood vessels and veins squeeze tight, which is a huge help if you have a weeping wound that isn't clotting well. It will also help keep blood pressure up when blood loss is lowering it, and help you stay alert to tend the wound and keep pressure on it.

In fact if it's available I'd say that's step two after applying the tourniquet. Gulp down any coffee that on hand to get it absorbing in time to help you through that critical first hour.

Note: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. ;-)

from Bo 11/12/2013 at 02:27pm

My response to this is to pack chocolate covered espresso beans in my kit. Put them in those little zip lock craft bags to store and ration yourself every day. There is no water to weigh you down and you keep your caffeine levels up. And contrary to conventional "Knowledge", there have been NO studies, to my knowledge, that show caffeine to be a diuretic; there was a double blind study a number of years back which found no statistical difference in urinary out put when taking caffeine pills and a placebo.
Love my coffee beans

from Tioughnioga 10/31/2013 at 12:20pm

You must have been hopped up on caffeine when you wrote this; you're not usually this funny. "The roasted Arabica serpent!" Anyway, an interesting topic. I'm not much of an addict but I admit that I love coffee and will sometimes deliberately use it as a mood enhancer -- which is partly why I keep a small sack in my pack even if I'm not camping. That steel cup of cowboy coffee might be just what I need to keep my spirits up while I wait for the search and rescue team.

from Tioughnioga 10/31/2013 at 12:20pm

from TruCelt 11/17/2013 at 09:19am

Note: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. ;-)

from Bo 11/12/2013 at 02:27pm